
Hosted by Cecily
When we were kids mum used to let us help out in the kitchen. I was helping to cook before I knew how to ride a bike. Sure I nearly cut off my finger when I was four, but that is another story for another day, this is time for soup. The other day I was in the living room trying, and I stress TRYING, to clean. Javin was running amuck all over the house shouting for help with this thing and that, so I was only paying attention with half an ear. Finally, after hollering the same thing over and over I came into the kitchen to find him on the bar stool, pulled up to the stove. He had half the spices pulled out of the cupboard with their lids off. Further inspection showed he had a sauce pan sitting on the burner. I calmly asked him what he was doing.
"I making soup mom. I told you, soup!" he happily replied.
"I see, what kid of soup is it?" I asked.
"Good soup! Yummy soup!" was his energetic reply.
Well, since my mum was letting me do this sort of thing, I figured with supervision, why not!
He poured!
(yes that is soy sauce...who knew it was used in soup!)He dumped!
(lemon pepper...one of his favorites...I have had to hide that one, he thinks it goes into everything!)
(ginger..yup, ginger in the soup too)He shook!
(the all spice...really don't think this should ever go in soup again, but he's almost four and he likes different things.)He spilled!
(some pasta...it was a noodle soup..yum yum!)
(tomatoes...we use a lot of tomatoes in this house. I guess he noticed!)He stirred!

He kept saying, "it needs sompthin, it needs sompthin!"
(aw, yes of course a half a cup of olive oil, that was it....why didn't I think of that!)So we searched, he picked and he added, until there was a saucepan full of savory soup simmering on the stove.
This wasn't a mere science experiment, this was lunch!




I have to say, he was a bit heavy on the all spice, and it was more like a pesto sauce, but all in all it was pretty good and we all ate our soup!

He really went wild with the spices, see? And I didn't get the all spice in the picture cause he used it all up!
Since this first time he has insisted on making soup twice more. Each time he gets better...in fact, last nights dinner was thanks to Javin. (Okay, I helped, I cooked up the chicken he wanted added in, but the rest was all Javin!) I must say, this is a trend I am more than willing to encourage, who knows, maybe we had a future tome chef in our midst!


It really was impressively good for an almost 4 year old given fairly free reign. Last night's soup was great (if a little spicy), should make great leftovers.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely sounds like you've got a little chef in the making there. I'm so glad to hear that you are encouraging this :)
ReplyDeletesidenote: Orissa's hair is getting so long! It looks beautiful!
Now this looks delicious if you like to get your taste buds burnt off! Yikes! What a good mom you are to let him create his own dish. He's going to be a cook one day!
ReplyDeleteThat is so cute!
ReplyDeleteI don't think I would trust either of my boys with our spices. The end result would be inedible for sure!
You my friend are one awesome mama to let him create like that!!! What a fabulous memory that will make for him!!
ReplyDeleteHaha I was cringing to see you ate it, but definitely get good momma points for that one.
ReplyDeleteI love the "this needs sompthin'" a sure sign of a great cook. So cute. Love that boy.
ReplyDeleteYeah Chef Javin! One day I'll have to try his soup! Love the shot of Aaron :)
ReplyDelete