Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Judge Not

Today was a lovely spring day, so we decided to head out for an urban hike (aka a walk with the kids in the baby carriers instead of the strollers). It was me carrying Orissa, Aaron carrying Javin and Megan carrying Shaylee. We headed a direction that we hadn't gone in quite sometime. At about the half way point Aaron was starting to lag behind so we made a kid swap. From that point on I carried the Flave and he the Miss Oriss! We were heading north on a newly redone road, so new in fact, they hadn't really finished it and it was technically still closed to through traffic. As we were "hiking" along, just chatting about this and that, when a some what older and kind of ratty looking car passed us by then a few yard ahead of us slowed to a stop. I commented that maybe they were lost, and Megan promptly added that she hoped not cause she was terrible with directions. Then a man, in many some what worn and used layers of clothing, got out of the car and started heading toward us. In my mind I was thinking that maybe he needed some help, maybe a few bucks for gas or something, or maybe be he was a panhandler. Then we all noticed that as he was walking towards us, he had his wallet out and was pulling out a few dollar bill. Wrong Ryanne, this man wasn't asking, but trying to give. He came up and said, "I saw you and asked my friend to pull over, I want to help. Here please take this and make sure you get something for those kids, something to drink or maybe eat. You take care of those little ones." He was so kind, so sincere. He thought we were homeless and needed aid, and though he had but little, he was there to offer what aid he had. Tears came freely to my eyes, I was so touch by his Christ-like desire to help. We assured him that we were fine and that we were so grateful that he thought enough to make sure, and then we continued on our walk and they drove on.
At first we asked each other if we looked like street people or people down on our luck, even joked a bit about the way we were currently dressed, then I really started to think. A few questions came to my mind. Am I willing to stop to see if I can help? Do I often miss opportunities to help because of pride or indifference? Do I judge people by how they are dressed or the car they drive? Do I look for chances to make a difference? I hope I am doing a good job being a decent human, I hope I am willing always to help. This good Samaritan reminded me what I need to be doing, and put it all back into perspective, "judge not that ye be not judged."

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what an incredible story. That made me all teary. I don't even have words at the moment, just, wow. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Come on leave us a message then. I love to hear your thoughts! But remember that this is a family site and please no vulgarness, thank you!