Thursday, October 8, 2009

Turnbull National Wildlife Preserve. My Photo Story for Friday

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and Angie


whatworksforus
We found a beautiful area really close to home a couple of weeks ago. Ok, so it isn't a secret spot, just somewhere we had never taken the time to check out before. Turnbull National Wildlife Preserve. I don't really have a reason for neglecting to go there sooner, it is just outside of Cheney, Wa.


We have been trying to come up with places close by where we could go with the kids to spend time, and find interesting picture opportunities. Who knew it was there all the time. The entrance fee is only $3, and if you have a national parks pass, it is covered. They have paved and unpaved trails to walk and see the local wild life. There is a driving route to view from too.
Mostly there are the birds to see, and they even have some built-in binoculars for spotting the birds, which Javin and Daddy just HAD to check out. We mostly saw ducks and some geese. I think at other times of the year there is a bigger variety. I didn't have the time (or patient enough children) to stop and wait for the best shots of the birds though.

We all loved it...Ok, Orissa wasn's a huge fan, but I think that had more to do with the fact that it was super windy and she was stuck in a stroller for most of the time.


Javin was running nearly the whole time. He stopped on occasion to capture a picture of this or that, but mostly he loved the space to run, run as fast as he could with the wind in his hair.

As we were finishing the small walk (about a mile and a quarter) Aaron spotted a turtle coming up out of the water and onto the trail. Oh, Javin (and me too, I admit it) was in heaven! He ran to the stroller and snapped several pictures of the little guy.

Aaron and I both were snapping away too. For the rest of our time out at Turnbull, all that little guy wanted to see was more "turrles, Mamma, where are the turrles?"
I have a feeling this is going to be one of those places we travel to on a regular basis. What a wonderful place so close to home!

12 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice place to visit. Love the turtle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet that turtle will remind you of your outing every time you see one. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! what a cool little treasure you have found there. Great shot of the turtle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the picture of the turtle. We only see those in a zoo or a pet shop!
    I also love to watch the birds and although we have a very small garden, we do seem to get a good variety in it.
    Lovely Photostory Friday.
    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  5. if that place is close to home, I would visit it so often. a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fun trip, don't you just love getting out in nature like that. I love the shot of the boy running, with dad and baby coming on behind. I’m making children’s books today. If you want to wander down my road I’m home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's look like your family had a great outing! Your little guy seems so curious and adventurous, good for him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a beautiful place! GREAT turtle picture too! BTW...LOVE your new header with the kids. SO beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat place to find! I am sure that will be first on your little ones list the next time y'all decide to go somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful pictures! What a neat place to go--love the turtle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the turtle! What a gorgeous place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That would be so cool to see a turtle "in the wild"! I've only ever seen them at pet shops.

    That looks like a lovely place to visit!

    ReplyDelete

Come on leave us a message then. I love to hear your thoughts! But remember that this is a family site and please no vulgarness, thank you!