I really have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that he is indeed five years old. It truly feels like last week that we got the long awaited call from the adoption agency. Oh what a crazy happy time that was. We ended up having only two days to prepare the nursery for his arrival. Adoption is a lot of hurry up to wait and then after (for us anyhow) over three years of waiting, there was that frenzied hurry up and get ready.
I remember getting to the hospital the morning he was born. We were there mere hours after he was born, and we could hardly wait to see and hold him. The adoption agent wasn't even there before us! We waited again to see him...luckily it was only a few hours this time! He was in the NICU for the first day because he decided to go potty before he was out of the womb, so they had to check for infections. At first they told us we would have to wait until the following day to see him because for each child born in that hospital there were only two arm bands issued. Jamie's sister had the second one. WE thought we would have to settle for the picture they took right after he was born. Oh how beautiful that picture is to me....to this very day! I cried, Aaron cried and we waited, and hoped something would change, something that would allow us to see him in person. After three or four hours of sitting full of hope and more joy than can be expressed in the human languages, Jamie's sister came down and brought us up to the NICU to see our little guy. We only were allowed a few minutes in the room with him on the day he was born, but there were precious moment to us.
We then went rented a hotel room and waited the rest of the day out! Come morning we were up ready and at the hospital before I would have thought possible...beings that I am NOT a morning person AT ALL! That was thursday morning, and it was much better than the day before. Javin was out of the NICU and we were given our own hospital room, and treated like any other parent of a new born baby. I was over the moon to have him in my arms, to feed him and change his tiny little diapers!
That was a day we shall never forget. There have been a few of those kind of days in our life together. The day were were sealed together as husband and wife, the day that Javin was born and the day we finally had him in our arms, the day we got the call from Grandpa Bob and Gramma Mary telling us Orissa was going to be our little girl, and the day that we were all sealed together as a family in the Spokane temple. those are the days that are forever etched in my heart!
And now here we are five wonderful years later. He is such an amazing boy. He is all heart and imagination! He is full of hugs and kisses and tells me at least a dozen times a day that he loves me. He sees the cool in everything, and can make nearly anything into a game. Every holiday is a time to be something else. For Christmas he wanted to be a dinosaur. And for his his birthday we wanted to be the Easter bunny! and so, the Easter bunny he was. Of his own volition he decided to have a costume birthday party! Well, when that was the theme on the table, we decided a costume party needed carnival games!




Thus we had a party full of games and prizes. But the piece de resistance was the cake. The much asked for and long awaited SHARK cake. Since the day after his fourth birthday, he started asking for a SHARK cake for his 5th birthday. Month after month he reminded me. And month after month I put off looking of a shark pan. Then around the middle of January I decided it was time to look. And guess what I found...Nada, nothing...they don't make a shark pan. Lucky for us Aaron and I had been watching the CAKE BOSS, and we were pretty sure were would be cool enough to make on all on our own. Off to Caroline's Cakes to get all the supplies for the project I went (and thanks to my sister Megan I didn't have to drag the kids in there). After spending more than I care to admit to, I came out with two half sheet pans, a tub of fondant and a can of edible spray paint.
To make a long story a bit shorter, Aaron came home from Warden and we went to work shaping and frosting and covering it with fondant and making it as sharky as we could. At 2:30 in the morning we finally finished our masterpiece! It was, I must say, pretty darn amazing! I am sure that is, in a VERY large part due to Aaron's artistic talents...he is the one who carved the cake into the SHARK!





The party was a hit the cake was fantabulous and the pure joy and huge smile on Javin's face when he looked at that cake made the whole thing worth it! I still cannot believe my little baby boy is now a handsome, mischievous and wonderful little boy! The time really does go by WAY WAY WAY too quickly!




Got me a bit choked up remembering those first few days with our boy. It has been a wonderful ride from the start for sure!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful gift Heavenly Father planned for all of you! Thank you for sharing with all of us, too!
ReplyDelete