Thursday, June 25, 2009

Glendive, Family and Makoshika: a story of photos for friday


PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek



Glendive is like on the other side of the world. No joke, when I flew to Ireland, the flight was as long as the drive to Glendive. When I made it to Missoula, I borrowed my niece, Hosanna and we headed out on the long journey. I must admit, it was a far smoother trip with her than it would have been by myself!

We had a splendid time visiting my sister, her brood and Orissa's grandparents...since we adopted her they adopted Javin so really they are the kids third set of grandparents...who is gonna turn down an extra Gramma and Grampa!


The kids LOVED being with their cousins and seeing their aunt and uncle. There was four wheeling, games, parks, hill rolling, flash floods and the swimming pool. There was time at gramma and grampa's house and even a visit with Nana (great gramma)!

If you have never been to Glendive, well I am not surprised, it is out in the middle of nowhere Montana, nearly in North Dakota. The drive is long from nearly everywhere, BUT it is so worth it! They have a little secret literally in their collective backyards...Makoshika State Park. I learned that it means Badlands. It is the home, or shall I say, final resting place of dinosaur bones, and the geology of the area is spectacular (I am a bit of a geology nut...if there wasn't so darn much math involved, I would be a geologist by now).



I cannot help but say, if you are up for a long drive, or flight from anywhere, and you like rocks and dinosaur bones, this should be a must see before you die place! There are also desert plants like cactuses and sage brush. Ok, I admit that I had other reasons to draw me there, and have gone 8 or 9 times, but really after you see these, you might want to come too.

When you hit this side of Montana, you understand why they call it the BIG sky state. The vista, the view, the scenery is full of the sky, sometimes blue, sometimes gray, but always there and always big!

17 comments:

  1. That is fascinating country with strange rock formations.
    Your family look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun trip! Spending time with cousins, an extra set of grandparents and a state park! What more could you ask for? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some beautiful scenery! Looks like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK thanks for the tears, sis! We had a wonderful time with you here! Your pictures turned out excellent. I do have to say that Makoshika is our little secret up the street. I had so much fun wandering around taking photos with you and Hosanna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big sky is right.

    What a very cool trip -- I love dinosaur bones (that's such a boy thing to say, isn't it?)

    I love the magnificent desolation of the area.

    Well done on the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just beautiful. No wonder the dinosaurs picked that area to rest forever in. My daughter wants to be an archeologist (I'm sure I spelled that wrong), and dig up ancient bones or discover undiscovered civs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great trip you had. Love the pictures as well. The flowering cactus is absolutley beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pictures and that big sky one is breath taking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the story and the photo's that go with. The only part of Montana I've seen is yellowstone. Here’s my photo story. happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, sounds like a lovely time and the story is great! I love all of the photos, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful shots, I'm glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - those are really pretty shots....kinda makes me want to drive out there with three kids and see it!! Kinda.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!
    I think you have a nice blog, beatiful photos and smart posts.Would you follow me, because I don't want to lost your blog.I’m wating your visit.
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't been to Glendive but it sure looks beautiful! I do love the parts of Montana I've seen. And I love that huge pile of kiddos you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi!
    I'm glad you visit my blog and follow me. Your's so nice and I'm follow you, too.
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a lot of fun family time. You got some amazing pictures too :)

    ReplyDelete

Come on leave us a message then. I love to hear your thoughts! But remember that this is a family site and please no vulgarness, thank you!