A short while later he came sown stairs, as pleased with himself as he could be, with an armful of random clothing. There were 2 pairs of "big boy pants" one long sleeved shirt and bib. I asked him what he was going to do with all those clothes, and he happily showed me. He tried without success to put the undies on over his diaper and got the shirt on halfway over the shirt he was already wearing. (Too bad this was one of those rare moments I didn't have the camera handy). When those items were as on as he could get them I reminded him that we just couldn't go until he had pants on. This didn't seem to phase him and he was once again off to his room. I got distracted feeding the Mooky and about 15 minutes after he went upstairs he finally emerged from the stairs carrying another armful of clothing, this time it was 6 socks and the two pairs of undies and the two shirts had magically disappeared and he was clothed in only a diaper.

He said to me "I go, Ommy I go", and promptly sat on the floor and tried to put sock after sock on his feet. After much effort on his part he did manage to get one sock halfway on, he triumphantly stood up and headed for the front door, and tried to leave. As you can well imagine, I had to hold back my giggles after all he was so serious. I was so impressed with his little attempt at independence, so I tried to affirm his actions as we tried again starting with a shirt, followed by pants and finally shoes and he was at last ready to go "opping with Da ee". He really was so happy that he helped get his clothes and put them on, that he hardly noticed that I had to make a few minor changes to his chosen outfit (I'm all for letting them dress themselves, but I am a firm believer in pants too).
We did go shopping and had fun with Daddy when he got home, but for me the afternoon was the highlight of the day, and why not when I had the opportunity to watch my little boy try so hard to be big and grown up. I am very much enjoying every stage of growth and development with my children. I must admit that these toddler years with the Flave are tons of laughter and good-times, a bit frustrating at times but so worth it.
PS I don't know how well you can see it, but he was wearing my necklace, which my sister called his "Mr. T started kit". For some reason he has been insisting on wearing it and any other "bling" he can get his hands on.


I like that story even though I was getting it first hand while we chatted on the phone! He's funny :)
ReplyDeleteThat is simply too precious!
ReplyDelete