
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek
I have, in the past, written about my Grampa Sam, and now my sister has too. And today I kind of want to talk about another one of those greatest men in my life, my Da. He has lived a unique life. Of course I can't say it all, but I want to highlight a few of the things that I think make him the BEST Da ever. So here goes. (Be ready for the long haul, I am feeling a bit wordy today.)
Daren H. Flynn started out life as the oldest of three boys to a wonderful stay at home mum, and a talented fiddle player/ mechanic. His dad taught him to play baseball, pitcher to be exact. He was pretty darn good at it too. He played in high school and also in college. I guess the story goes this way. He was invited to go to Arizona (I think that is the right state) to play minor league ball, but by then he had already met and fell in love with my Mum, thus turning it down to settle down and get a "real" career. And that is just what he did. It was off to California to learn to be a radio man. It was a great place for him, he has one of those voices that you could listen to for hours. He worked in that field for many years, met many the country music stars of the the time and even went over to TV for a time. This all happened before I was born, but I had kind of a cool experience relating to his work as a radio guy. ( he is the one on the end all relaxed looking)

When I was 14 years old, I was in Missoula (Montana) waiting for my Mum to get off work. I was just sitting out side the building watching the traffic and wasting time. Then I saw a little old lady (Ok she was probably in her 60"s, but at 14 that seems sooooo old) getting ready to cross the street with several bags of groceries. I obviously, was not a boy scout, however being raised to be helpful, ran over and assisted her. She was so grateful for the help, and asked my name, so she could thank me properly. When I said my last name she got a far away look in her eyes and said, "Oh, there used to be a radio announcer named Daren Flynn, I love his voice, he was so wonderful to listen to." I was a bit shocked that nearly 20 years away from the radio business he was still remembered. I proudly said, "That's my Dad!" Her response to that was, "You tell him there are still plenty of people out here that want him back!" By that time in his life he had transitioned to truck driving. Actually by the time I was born he had done many, many jobs.
Here are just a couple of them: He was a Fuller Brush Man (which just happens to be one of my favorite movies), and a rail road worker. If you can believe it he went in to truck driving to make a better living for his family. I don't know about now, but to make the big bucks in radio/television back in the day you had to be willing to walk all over others to advance and get the bigger better jobs. I think my Da just loved the work and not the cut-throat ways and ladder climbing.
This life of a truck driver is one of solitude. Some handle it well and others forget about families at home waiting for them. My Da was one who always has and always will love his wife and children, after all we were the reason for his life on the road. Since there is only so much you can do while cruising the roads of the country (and Canada), he turned his thoughts to his family, his job and life's big questions. The result, a plethora of poetry.
Stories that are funny, silly, sad, and often poignant and written for his posterity's sake, and enjoyment. They were his way of sharing his love for family, friends and his own life. My Da has such a penchant for words like so few, and when he sits with me (and usually a group of grandkids)and recites his stories could just sit and listen for hours!
In addition to being quite the poet, he also dabbled in oil painting, wood working and making anything my mum asks for. She tends to think he can do anything, and not to disappoint her he does!
He is a great man. Never searched for fame or fortune, just for a happy home and means for his family. He taught me the importance for hard work, of love and devotion to those you love. He taught me principles for life that are always in style. Be true to yourself, and remember who you are, do not be afraid to stand for what you know to be right, and always give thanks to Heavenly Father for all you have. Of course, there are many more life lessons and stories to be told here, but it is sufficient to say that he and my mum have molded me into the woman and mother I have become.


What a beautiful tribute. Just lovely.
ReplyDeleteThis was beautiful. I don't know if my life will ever be this interesting, but I would be so touched someday, if my children were to write something as beautiful as this.
ReplyDeleteYou booger! You made me cry! I would have to agree, we do have the best Da ever!
ReplyDeleteWhat a special story to share.
ReplyDeleteThat is quite an endearing post. He sounds like a wonderful man.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story. The lucky ones among us can write such tributes like this one. The luckiest of us can write them while our dads are still around to read them.
ReplyDeletelove those old photos!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful tribute to your dad! :)
ReplyDeleteLovely tribute to him. Your pictures are great too. :)
ReplyDeleteThis was one powerful, passionate tribute. WOW. I love, love, love those vintage shots with a story to match. Well done!
ReplyDeleteAnd BTW, those lightning shots ROCK.
What a great post...he sounds like such a wonderful man. And I LOVE the old photos.
ReplyDelete