
If you know me at all, you know that I come from a fairly large family.....8 kids total. My parents wanted to make everything even I suppose, cause they had four girls and four boys, not in that order though. I am not really going to talk much about the boys at the moment. I want to focus on three of the most wonderful women I know, and each so different.
Colleen is the oldest of our brood, and so a few years older than I am. When I was young I hardly knew her, she was already graduated and off to college by the time I was old enough to realize who she was. Colleen went and spent a bit of her college time in Austria, you see one of her major studies at the time was German. My Mum and Da still have the post cards and letters she sent home. Then she went and served an 18 month mission in the Philippines. And I am sure if you asked her she would tell you that she LOVED every minute spent there. She made many friends and still talks about all the wonderful experiences she had. I think I was 10 or 11 at the time, but I thought she was the greatest person in the world! In fact, many years later, it was her example that led me to want to serve an mission for our church too.
As a teenager I went to spend part of the summer with her and her family. It was then that I realized what a hard worker she is and saw how much she cared for those she took care of. You see, she is a respiratory therapist. She has a loving spirit, and is such a caring person, and is definitely one of my most favorite people.

I watch her now with children of her own (two teenagers and a 12 yr old and a 10 year old). She is ever the example to me. No one could question her love for her husband or children. They are always the most important aspect of her life. I really could go on and on about her. I love my sister Colleen, she is a rock, she is firm and immovable in the faith, and ever striving to better herself.
Next, there is my sister Carrie. We are much closer in age, a mere 21 months apart. While growing up we were very close....you know shared a bed room, clothes and often friends. We were pretty much polar opposites. I was the super sporty one, she the cheerleader. Carrie was always the fashionable one and me, I wore what ever I found on the floor that was clean. Oh, yeah, she was also the neat freak, and I was the slobby one. I would say that not much has change in most of those categories. Carrie was my built in friend, almost the way twins are. We often would even have the same dream, with only minor differences. When we moved from Frenchtown, MT, to Ephrata, WA, we were there to lift and support each other while trying to make friends in a new and unfamiliar environment.
When she got married and moved away, I was like a fish out of water and angry at her husband for taking my best friend away. Ask her and she will tell you too, I wouldn't even give him a chance. It was the years apart that helped me appreciate how great she is. Carrie is a mother of 6 children now and she fits the mother role quite nicely. She is strong, and stands up for her children. She is loud and boisterous, and loves life. As you can guess, I also love my sister Carrie. She stands up for what is right, never apologizes for it.
And then there is the baby of the family (though she hates to be called that), Megan. She is one tough cookie when she has to be. There a a few years between us (six to be exact), and so we really got to know each other after I got home from my mission to B.C. Canada. By then she was a senior in high school. I school she participated in nearly but not all, the girl sports offered. I would say she is a pretty well rounded individual. Megan is also a wonderful artist. She has an eye for beauty and can reproduce it. I believe that she even sold a piece of her artwork from school. After high school she surprised us all by joining the army, military police. I could just imagine Megan, my quiet and reserved sister saying, "uh, excuse me but could you please maybe not do that, I don't want to bother you but, well..." However, this is when the one tough cookie aspect of her life really showed. After talking with a couple of her soldiers, I learned that she was a great boss, and friend, but if they messed up or got lazy she had no problem putting them back into place and line.

Megan is a strong Flynn woman, like her sisters before her! She is adamantly loyal to her family and friends and a loving mother and wife. She makes me laugh and cry and is always there when I need her to just listen. I love my sister, Megan.
For a myriad of reasons I love my sisters. They each are beautiful and strong, kind and loving. They are my sisters, and they have helped to make me who I am!


You big booger! You made ME cry! seriously, I'm having trouble seeing the keys to type!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the kind words. I love you too! :)