
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

The other day Ken posted a picture of old bottles and that got me to thinking of one of my most favorite men of all time, my Grampa Sam. He passed away in 1990 and life just hasn't been the same since. We were the greatest of buddies. From what hear that started out in the beginning of my earthly life. I was his favorite one, you see, I was the only grand-baby that preferred him to hold me when just a babe. Everyone else cried when he held them, but not me, we were kindred spirits.
He was the greatest thing, even better than pizza, or ice cream. He was an avid gardener, fisherman, a logger, and a bottle hound. He also loved to sing.
I used to love spending time doing all of the above with him, but the bottle hunting was my favorite. We would all hop into the car and head out to an empty field or a place where junk (not a garbage dump), like old cars were and search all over to find old bottles. If there was a no trespassing sign posted he would send me (or one of my siblings) through the fence to look. It was great fun. Heck, what kid doesn't like exploring new "dangerous" places? You should have seen his collection. The whole house was filled to the brim with Grampa's bottles and Gramma's fabrics.
There was one time I went logging with him and my Uncle Ed, and it is one I will never truly live down. I was about 6 years old and we went way up into the mountains to get a load of fire wood. They told me to stay in the truck, so I obediently did, for about 5 minutes. There were just too many cool things to see and so much room to explore. after about 15 minutes I hear the loud echoey voices of my Grampa Sam and Uncle Ed holler "TIMBER". Now remember, I was only six, when I heard that I went into full panic mode, starting with screaming then leading into running in circles and then finally finding the right direction for the truck. I ran full throttle for the truck, just certain that so huge tree was going to be barreling down the hill after me. As soon as I got into the truck I locked both doors.
Naturally they both heard my cries (sound really carries in the woods) and came running down the mountain, just positive that something awful must have happened to me, only to find that I was safely locked in the truck. I was so scared it took them several minutes to calm me down and coax me into unlocking the door. Now in my Uncle Ed's eyes I will forever be know as "The Logger". No joke when he calls he leaves messages for the logger not Ryanne.
Now on to the singing aspect of my Grampa Sam. He was one of MANY children and a not well off family, so when he was about 12 he had to drop out of school to help provide for the family. Ergo, his education was cut a bit short. He mostly remembered the songs he learned in school and would always be singing one of them. He had a few favorites: All Things Bright and Beautiful and the Alphabet backwards. My sister and I were always in awe of that last one. It seemed impossible to do yet he did it. Then when we were about 6 and 8 he challenged us, or rather told us we couldn't stay the summer with him if we didn't learn how to do it too. That was enough incentive and we got right to it. I didn't want to disappoint my Grampa after all. So we sat down and wrote the letters forward and then read them backwards until they stuck. Ok, I admit my sister got it sown way before me, but I did finally get it the whole zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba down pat. In fact, I have way more trouble remembering it the proper way and that is all thanks to my wonderful Grampa Sam.
I have stories I could tell all day, but the time is late and this is longer than anyone will want to read.
P.S. I am the cute one down in the front who is barely in the picture. I think that they thought my cuteness would over power the shot! ;)


Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek


Grandpa's are magic. Mine was the greatest man I ever knew. Amidst twenty-six grandkids, when you were alone with him, you were the most important thing in the world. Thanks for the reminder.
ReplyDeleteThat is such a wonderful tribute to your grandpa. Really.
ReplyDeleteAnd you know what? At 33 I am pretty sure I'd be locking myself in the truck too.
Fantastic PSF! I'm so glad you wrote it down!!
that's an awesome PSF honouring your grandpa. sometimes i think we're too young to appreciate them when they leave us. i was 34 when my grandparents died and there's so much i wish i could have talked with them about...
ReplyDeleteWhat? Where was I when the bottle hunting was going down? Was I really there and I just don't remember? Crazy! I wish my bottles were all out, I'd share a shot of them.
ReplyDeleteThese were great memories of Grandpa Sam! At least you weren't forever "Bad Luck"! Maybe I'll take a picture and tell my own Grandpa Sam story ... one of these days.
Well, I for one read every word of your post! And enjoyed every bit of it!
ReplyDeleteI love your nickname-Logger-and I know that I too would have been locked in that truck!
ReplyDeleteBackwards alphabet? I'm intrigued and would love to know the tune...if you feel like sharing!
Great PSF!
Great story, I could picture you giving it your all running for the truck.
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures and your PSF. Your Grandpa sounded like a really special man and a fantastic grandfather.
ReplyDeletegreat story. Sometimes there are those people that forever will mean the world to you. Even if they are not here anymore.
ReplyDeleteFor me it is my grandmom. She passed away some 20 years ago and nothing have really been the same. I still remember the day she passed away. Not that I "participated" or saw it. But I just about passed out and slept for almost a full 24 hours...
Great and captivating story. how can you help not to read it all. It sure did move me. Hope you had a good time reliving the special moments you shared.
What a great story and tribute. I have never heard of bottle hunting before.
ReplyDeleteI have a similar relationship with my grandfather and the thought of losing him is more than I can bear to think about.
Made me reminisce about my grandpas, too! I don't really know them, but for sure they loved me.
ReplyDeleteI also have posted my PSF. You can read it HERE.
Happy Friday!
I never got to know my grandpa. What a sweet, heartfelt tribute to yours. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man! Grandpa's are wonderful. I lost mine about a year and a half ago and miss him every day. Happy PSF!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantasic story. Your Grandpa sounds like he was a hell of a guy.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by!
What a beautiful story. He sounds like a wonderful man. What a great PSF!
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice tribute to your grandpa - way to go!
ReplyDeleteGreat memories!! I love that picture of your Grandpa in front of the window. It's priceless.
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful stories to have recorded here! Great pictures too.
ReplyDeleteWhat great memories -- and a beautiful tribute to your grandfather. Reading that is making me miss my grandfather -- it sounds like they're a lot alike.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by today! It's nice to have new blog to check out.
Your Grampa Sam sounds like an awesome man and I'm sure you miss him greatly! Great tribute!
ReplyDeleteSuch sweet memories about your Grandpa. One of my grandpas passed away in 1987 and the other in
ReplyDelete2003. You've inspired me to write down my memories of them. Thanks for sharing & for stopping by my blog. :)
What a precious story! How wonderful to have those memories. :D
ReplyDeleteLonger than anyone would read? Nope. I'd love to hear more.
ReplyDeleteI never had grandparents, and as a kid I always envied those who did ....